There might not be a more awkward doctor’s visit than when a woman has her Canton gynecology appointment. It’s incredibly intimate and can even feel embarrassing. That’s why it’s understandable that even if you have concerns about your body and what’s happening to it, you might blank and forget to ask. Rest assured, our Canton women’s clinic is here to help.
Throughout a lifetime, there are lots of questions you may ask. Here are some of the questions you should ask during the various stages of your life to give you a head start:
An annual wellness exam is essential to reproductive (and overall) health. Questions to ask during this visit include:
- How can I reduce my risk of breast cancer?
- How do I know if I should get tested for BRCA mutations?
- What screenings or tests do I need this year?
- Are my symptoms normal?
- Am I healthy? If not, how can I change that?
Whether you ask during your annual exam or schedule a special appointment, good menstruation questions include:
- How often should I be menstruating?
- How heavy or light should my flow be?
- When do I need to worry about irregular periods?
When you are or are thinking about becoming sexually active, you should ask your Canton gyno the following questions:
- Are there any vaccinations that I need to get?
- What are my protection options?
- How often should I be tested for STIs?
- How can I tell if I have an STI?
Trying To Get Pregnant
Fertility is often a concern for women, especially when they’re thinking about trying to conceive. Here are some essential questions to ask when you’re trying to get pregnant:
- How long should it take for me to get pregnant?
- How can I increase my fertility?
- When should I stop taking birth control so I can get pregnant?
- At what point should I consider fertility treatment options?
The body undergoes significant changes during pregnancy. It can be confusing and even a little scary. These are some questions you should ask your OB/GYN while you’re pregnant:
- When should my next appointment be?
- What can I do to keep my baby healthy?
- Do I need a birth plan, and what should it include?
- How will I know when I’m in labor?
After Giving Birth
Like pregnancy, the weeks after giving birth are full of change and a little scary. Ask your Canton gyno:
- Is bleeding normal? When does it become abnormal?
- Is my mood normal?
- Should I breastfeed? If so, for how long?
- When can I get back to the routine I had pre-baby?
Women over 50 go through some more changes. Ask your doctor:
- When can I expect to go through menopause?
- What can I do about vaginal dryness?
- Are there any ways to increase my sex drive?
- How can I prevent bladder leaks?
Your reproductive health is just as important as any other aspect of your health. It’s essential to set aside any embarrassment and ask any questions that come to your mind. It will help your curiosity and answer any concerns you may have. Call and schedule an appointment with one of our OB/GYNs today.